Blago’s Trial Starts Again

Nearly set to get under way, Rod Blagojevich’s second corruption will contain all the same evidence as the first trial, however it will be presented in a whole new way.

On Wednesday potential jurors were expected to begin filling out questionnaires which were meant to help weed out anyone with any strong biases against or for the former Illinois governor.

Since Blagojevich’s first trail, which ended last year with jurors locked on all but on count, federal prosecutors have stripped their case, getting rid of complex racketeering charges in order to address complaints by the previous jury.

This time,  Blagojevich will be the only defendant after authorities dropped all charges against his brother. His defense team also no longer includes lead lawyer Sam Adam Jr. Jury selection could take about a week.

Blagojevich said recently told the Associated Press that he looked forward to the chance to try and prove his innocence. But he also said he dreaded the retrial.

Already, he could get up to five years in prison for the lying conviction at the first trial. And the stakes are as high as ever this time: A conviction on just one offense could mean a decade or more behind bars.
Last time, it was a single juror who refused to go along with the rest of the panel and was the one thing that kept Blagojevich from being convicted on the Senate seat charge.

Blagojevich told the AP he has been preparing for the possibility he could testify. But he said whether or not he actually will take the stand is a decision that will be made during the trial.