Hazmat Response On Wacker

A broken thermostat caused two injuries Thursday afternoon.

A thermostat on the second floor of a building on the 300 East Wacker Drive contained a small amount of Mercury inside which spilled onto the floor, said Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Anne Dwyer

Two people, both wearing shoes, stepped in the hazardous material. Both people were taken to Northwestern Hospital, treated and released, said Dwyer.

Authorities report that there were no other injuries or evacuees and the building is still in service.